Free Tax Help Available at the Iowa City Senior Center | News
IOWA CITY, Iowa--Each year the Iowa City/Johnson County Senior Center partners with the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program to offer free tax help to taxpayers with low and moderate income, especially those age 60 and above.Trained volunteers work with participants to prepare and e-file tax returns, ensuring they receive applicable tax credits and deductions. Appointments are available at the Senior Center, Monday - Friday at 8:30, 9:30, and 10:30 AM, and 1 and 2 PM from February 1 to April 15. Appointments are required and can be scheduled by calling the Senior Center at 319-356-5220.
Participants will need to bring the following documents to their appointments:
- Government issued identification
- Copy of last year's income tax returns (both federal and state)
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents
- Checkbook if you want to do a direct deposit of any refund(s)
- W-2 forms from each employer
- Unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits
- 1099 forms reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity
- 1099-MISC form showing any miscellaneous income
- All forms and canceled checks indicating federal and state income tax paid
- Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID or Social Security number)
- Receipts, canceled checks, or 1099 forms related to continuing education
- All receipts and canceled checks if itemizing deductions
Help is also available for completing rent and property tax rebates for seniors and disabled individuals. Appointments are not necessary for rebate assistance; help will be provided to drop-in clients between tax appointments as time allows. Individuals seeking this type of assistance are encouraged to drop in at 9, 10, or 11 AM, or 1:30 or 2:30 PM.
Home visits may be available for senior and disabled people who are unable to come to the Senior Center.
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide offers free, individualized tax preparation at nearly 6,000 locations nationwide. It has helped low- to moderate-income individuals for more than 40 years in every state and the District of Columbia. AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is offered in cooperation with the IRS.
For more information, contact the Senior Center at 319-356-5220. The Senior Center is located in downtown Iowa City at 28 South Linn Street.
Submitted Press Release