16 Iowa City businesses failed tobacco compliance check | Business
IOWA CITY, Iowa--Iaw enforcement agencies conducted a tobacco sales law compliance checks from December 19-22 at 63 businesses in Iowa City. Working with plainclothes officers, underage persons entered these businesses and attempted to illegally purchase tobacco products. Out of the 63 businesses, 47 of them refused to sell to the underage buyers.
There were 16 businesses that did sell tobacco products to the underage buyers. Of the 16 businesses who failed, it was discovered that one, Alsafa Market, did not have a license to sell tobacco products in Iowa City. The businesses that failed the compliance checks were:
• Alsafa Market - 731 S Riverside Dr.
• The Spirit Tobacco and More (Hookah Cove) - 357 E College St.
• Zombies - 316 E Burlington St.
• The In Zone - 116 E Washington St.
• IC Uglys - 210 N Linn St.
• Kum & Go - 25 W Burlington St.
• Kum & Go - 513 S Riverside Dr.
• The Convenience Store - 106 S Linn St.
• Southside Liquor & Tobacco - 601 Hollywood Blvd Suite #1
• Deli Mart - 1920 Lower Muscatine Rd.
• Gasby's - 2203 Muscatine Ave.
• Red Poppy - 341 E College St.
• Tobacco Bowl - 111 S Dubuque St.
• RJ'z Express - 2 Escort Ln.
• Deli Mart - 2410 Mormon Trek Blvd.
• Hartig Drug - 701 Mormon Trek Blvd.
Selling (employee) tobacco to persons under age 18 years of age is a simple misdemeanor, punishable with a $195 fine for the first offense. Selling tobacco without a license is also a simple misdemeanor. Additionally, all violations will be forwarded to the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division for civil penalties against the tobacco licenses, or lack thereof.
Submitted Police Press Release